Ministry expands virtual workstations

      No Comments on Ministry expands virtual workstations

Government is working on improving its communication infrastructure through among other things the introduction of a wide area network to cope with the surging numbers of Internet users brought about by Covid-19 induced containment measures.

The Public Service Commission (PSC) has also called for some ministries to reduce the number of people reporting for work physically to 15 percent and encourage the other 85 percent to work from home as a way of helping to contain the spread of the virus.

Cabinet held its maiden virtual meeting last week with ministers following the meeting from different venues as opposed to being under one roof, which had been the norm over the years.

Speaking to The Herald yesterday, Information Communication Technology, Postal and Courier Services, Permanent Secretary Engineer Sam Kundishora said the ministry was working on broadening the digital space.

“It is possible that people can work from home. We are expanding our communication infrastructure and also the Government wide area network. The Government’s wide area network enables senior government officials and ministers to be able to work from home, they can also do some meetings virtually,” he said.–herald

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *